Free CSS Navigation Menu Designs 2 at exploding-boy.com

TRANQUEBAR (Tharangambadi)


Tranquebar is 35 Kilometres north of Nagappattinam abutting the Bay of Bengal. The Danes landed at this place in 1620 AD. It was already a pre-existing village, when the Danes landed. This is borne out by the temple on the seashore , which is crumbling now due to the sea ingress. Maravarama Sundarapandian, a later Pandya King, constructed this temple called the Masilamani Natha temple in 1305 AD. The Danes constructed fortifications on the coast at Tranquebar. This was the only busy trade centre on the Coromandal coast for the Danes. This fort was a busy trade centre till 1845 AD when the Danes handed over the fort to the English. It was used as a Public Works Department Travellers Bungalow for government servants and colonials till 1977 AD. This fort was declared as a protected monument by the Department of Archaeology, Government of Tamilnadu in 1977 AD.

Other places of Interest at Danish Port

Built in 1620 exists to exhibit Danish architecture. The fort is now under the control of TamilNadu Archeological Department, houses an archaeological Museum. This museum is open on all days except Friday.

Zion's Church

It was built in 1701.It was renovated in 1782-84.

Town Gateway

It was built in 1792 on Danish Architectural style, and renovated recurring by ASI.

Masilamani Nathar Temple

This Temple built in 1305 A.D by Maravarma Kulasekara Pandiyan exhibits outstanding architectural skills.

Danish Governor Bungalow

This building got its name as it was used as residence of Danish Governor in 1784.


 BACK

| Home | About Nagapattinam | History | Important Places | How to Reach | Where to stay | Tourist Info | Online Enquiry | Contact Us | Site Map